Wednesday, December 10, 2014

From the Classroom, to the heart

From the Classroom, to the Heart

By: E.J. Merlo


Casey & Friend

Erin Casey Lee, she’s a sports communication major, a sister to 4 siblings, and a huge Royals, Chiefs, and Oklahoma Sooner's fan. This is how Casey was to be known until we were given a certain assignment. On presentation day Casey shared with the class a very big part of her life. After she had announced such shocking information, Casey would be known for more than just wanting to be the next Erin Andrews.
Casey with her mother & sister
Casey shared that her mother killed herself on May 28, 2013. It was a week after she had graduated High School. Her mother left behind Casey, her 3 brothers, and 1 sister.
Casey is the youngest and was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Everyone on her moms side of the family, boys and girls, have the middle name Casey. Her mom wanted her to be called Casey but not ruin the tradition of having it as a middle name. So that’s why she goes by Casey and not Erin. Since her mothers passing Casey has become a suicide prevention advocate, and more recently a mental health awareness advocate. 


After seeing how extremely passionate Casey is about her cause and learning about the harsh realities of life she has had to overcome, I wanted to get to know her even more on a personal level. So I sat down with Casey and did just that by asking her some exposing questions

EM: What is your idea of perfect happiness?
CL: I think it would be when I’m just at peace with everything in my life.

EM: What is your greatest fear?
CL: I don’t know why but probably Clowns, I always have been, they make me uncomfortable.

EM: Greatest fear emotionally?
CL: Not succeeding, not being the person I want to be. I have all these dreams and aspirations to try and change the world. The worst thing would be to not accomplish any of that

EM: What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
CL: I try to do too much I am an emotional person.

EM: What is the trait you most deplore in others?
CL:  I really look for Honesty. Even if it’s not what I want to hear, I rather know the truth.

EM: Which living person do you most admire?
CL: I would have to say my dad. Once my mom passed away he sort of became everything in my life. He has just been amazing and he has always been my hero.

EM: Have you ever asked your dad any of the things I am asking you, like about his happiness and his fears? Especially after losing your mom and something like that happening?
CL: For a while it was definitely hard to talk to him about certain things and even know its hard not to have that mom figure and have to go to your dad about certain things. We still haven’t gotten to that point where we are completely open with each other, but its definitely getting there.

EM: What is your greatest extravagance?
CL: Being a suicide prevention advocate, and a mental health awareness advocate. Its something that I love and really want to go far with.

EM: What is your current state of mind?
CL:
EM: We will move onto the next question.


EM: What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
CL: Purity, no one is perfect.

EM: On what occasion do you lie?
CL: I think like most people I lie to help others.

EM: What do you most dislike about your appearance?
CL:  Probably my Nose.

EM: Which living person do you most despise?
CL: My former stepdad.

EM: What is the quality you most like in a man?
CL: Being able to take care of me.

EM: What is the quality you most like in a woman?
CL: Genuine and down to earth.

EM: Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
CL: I don’t know about a phrase, but I may cuss too much

EM: What or who is the greatest love of your life?
CL: Family comes first, but Matt is the love of my life.

EM: When and where were you happiest?
CL: About 2-3 summers ago with my sister, we flew to Chicago to see my mom.

EM: Which talent would you most like to have?
CL: Singing

EM: If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
CL: I think like I said earlier sometimes I just care too much.

EM: What do you consider your greatest achievement?
CL: Coming out about self-harm, it helped me and it allowed me to help others that reached out to me.

EM: If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
CL: I would probably come back as like a dog or a really chill animal.

EM: Where would you most like to live?
CL: Um, I definitely love Kansas City. Most people growing up say how they cant wait to get away, but Iv grown to love the city and the sports. I really can’t imagine living anywhere else.

EM: What is your most treasured possession?
CL: I have this box in my closet that has everything that is important to me in it. My most treasured is my mom’s journal. I got to read a find out a lot of things about my mom that I did not know.

EM: What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
CL: I would say feeling helpless, when people get to a point where they just feel like there is nothing they can do. I have been to that point, it’s just hard when you feel like there’s nothing you can do.

EM: What is your favorite occupation?
CL: I definitely want to be a sports broadcaster. My two favorite things in the world are sports and writing. So if I could combine those and be a sports writer or and sports broadcaster, that would be ideal.

EM: What is your most marked characteristic?
CL: I’m not sure, I feel like that would be a good question for other people and what they really notice about me.

EM: What do you most value in your friends?
CL: Being able to rely on the ones that stuck around through all the hard times I have been through.

EM: Who are your favorite writers?
CL: Dr. Seuss, I have been writing poetry since I was little and he was a big part in that and it eventually expanded into my writing and journalism.

EM: Who is your hero of fiction?
CL: Not really sure.

EM: Which historical figure do you most identify with?
CL: Well my last name is Lee so my great, great, great something grandfather was Robert E. Lee.

EM: Who are your heroes in real life?
CL: I would definitely say my dad again for always being there, and people like my friends and such that have always supported me.

EM: What are your favorite names?
CL: Well I definitely already named my children that I don’t have, for boys I really like the name Winston, and for girls I like the name Cadence.

EM: What is it that you most dislike?
CL: I dislike people that are very close-minded. I think we are all entitled to our own opinion, but when people refuse to look at situations in another point of view; I think that’s the problem.

EM: What is your greatest regret?
CL: Losing my mom brought a lot of guilt, and blame. I have definitely been working on it, but its something I will always struggle with.

EM: How would you like to die?
CL:I definitely want to be old, I want to live a long good life. I want it to be in my sleep and very peaceful. I don’t want to suffer I guess.

EM: What is your motto?
CL: I would just tell people “Life is worth living.”


Casey & Dad
At 20 years old, Casey Lee has already faced more tragedy and hardships than one may have to face in a whole lifetime. As Casey looks to keep getting stronger over time and one day hoping to come to peace with everything, she continues to search for ways to help others. With her passion for writing, suicide prevention advocacy, and mental health awareness advocacy, Casey plans on taking her experience with her mother and changing the world.









No comments:

Post a Comment